This is one of my favorite recipes and one my Grandmother asked me to make for Thanksgiving and Christmas every year. Not often that Grandma asks for a special dish! This year I think I will make up several batches. Hoping to pick up some festive or ornamental sealed glass containers and then I will provide these as gifts for friends and family. This relish also makes a fabulous filling for strudel. Typically I use a cream cheese and powdered sugar “cheese” and then ladle the relish on top before folding over and baking the strudel. Scrumptious Christmas desert with just the right balance of tart, sweet, and tangy!!!
– 1 lb. Northern Spy apples
– 1 lb. dark red cranberries
– 2 cups sugar
– 2 whole Navel oranges, peel on
1. Wash and core the apples, leaving the skin intact.
2. Freeze the cranberries solid.
3. In a food processor, add half frozen cranberries and half apples and turn to chop speed so that the pieces are about a 1/4″ square.
4. Chop the entire pound of apples/ cranberries and place in large mixing bowl and add sugar. Chop the peel-on whole navel oranges to the same consistency and mix into the apples/ cranberries/ sugar.
5. Refrigerate and let set 1 hour before serving.
From my experience – if you can let it sit a day or two prior to serving it’s even better. This helps the sugar break down the orange peels so they aren’t too tart. You can check out this and other recipes from Zehnder’s in Frankenmuth Michigan here.